|Healthy Living Through Vedic Sciences||
Child health care in Vedas
Regimen for Pregnant Women & Child Health care
Child health care is of primary concern in the Vedas. Caraka Sa×hitÈ (ƒÈrÏra-sthÈna, 8.32) prescribes a regimen month by month for a pregnant women for healthy growth of foetus and normal delivery. The regimen also looks at the prevention of post delivery birth mark instead of looking at it as an issue to be handled after delivery. Various verses in this regard can be read as under:
prathame mÈse „a×kitÈ ced garbham ÈpannÈ k–iram anupask‚taŠ
mÈtrÈvacchÏtaŠ kÈle kÈle pibet sÈtmyeva bhojanaŠ sÈyaŠ prÈta„ ca bhu¤jÏt. dvitÏye mÈse k–Ïrameva ca madhurau–dha siddhaŠ. t‚tÏye mÈse k–ÏraŠ madhusarpibhyÈm upasans‚jya; caturthe mÈse k–Ïra-navanÏtam ak–mÈtram a„nÏyÈt; pa¤came mÈsi k–Ïra-sarpiÌ; –a–—he mÈse k–Ïra-sarpir-madhudr au–ashasiddhaŠ, tadeva saptame mÈse.
yadidaŠ karma prathamaŠ mÈsaŠ samupÈdÈyopadi–—am ÈnavamÈn mÈsÈttena garbhi‡yÈ garbha samaye garbha-dhÈri‡Ï-kuk–i-ka—Ï-pÈr„v-p‚–—haŠ m‚du-bhavati, vÈta„ cÈnulomaÌ saŠpadyate, mÊtra-purÏ–e ca prak‚ti-bhÊte sukhena mÈrgam anupadyete, carmanakhÈni ca mÈrdavam upayÈnti, balavar‡au copacÏyete; putraŠ ce–—aŠ saŠpadupetaŠ sukhinaŠ sukhenai–È kÈle prajÈyata.
1. In the first month a lady, suspected to have attained pregnancy, should drink milk in adequate quantity. This milk need not be boiled with any other thing and should be taken when it cools down. She should eat only wholesome food in evening and morning.
2. In the second month, milk boiled with medicines having sweet taste should be taken.
3. In the third month, milk mixed with honey and ghee is advisable.
4. In the fourth month, milk should be given with butter in one ak–a (12gm) dose.
5. In the fifth month milk with ghee extracted fresh directly from milk (without subjecting it to fermentation leading to the formation of curd) should be given.
6. In the sixth month ghee taken out directly from milk and boiled with medicine having sweet taste should be given.
7. During seventh month, the same regimen as that of sixth month is to be followed. During this month, mother may feel itching sensation because of the pressure of foetus. When there is an itching sensation, mother should not scratch the part because it may injure the skin and disfigure it leading to abdominal lines after delivery. To handle this condition, mother should be given gentle massage with oil boiled with the leaves of karvÏra (Nerium indicum mill). She can be given affusion with water boiled with mÈlati (Aganosma dichotoma K. Schum) and madhuka (Glycyrrhiza glabra Linn.). The ingredients of her food should be sweet in taste and they should be alleviators of vÈta. The food should be taken in small quantity without adding fat and salt to it. Water should be taken in small quantity after food.
8. During eighth month, the mother should regularly take milk and yavÈgÊ (gruel) added with ghee. This regimen keeps mother and child in sound health,
Here it will not be out of context to inform the findings of modern science regarding the use of milk during pregnancy. A paper entitled ‘Research on Association of low intake of milk and Vitamin D during pregnancy with decreased birth weight’ in Canada Medical Association Journal (25.04.04). It is observed:
Both milk consumption and vitamin D intake were significant predictors of birth weight, said Kristine G. Koski, Ph.D., Director of the school of Dietetics and Human Nutrition at McGill University in Canada. ‘For every 215 milliliters of milk that you drink----it correlates with an extra 41 grams of birth weight.’ Medical expert Dr. Marla Shapiro said. Medical experts say smaller babies have higher rates of hupertension, obesity and diabetes as they age. Accoridng to Scotsman, the report, whose authors included Dr. Kristine Koski said: ‘Our study showed that restricting milk or vitamin D intake during pregnancy lowered infant birth weight in otherwise healthy, non-smoking, well-educated mothers.’
9. During ninth month, mother should be given unctuous enema with the oil boiled with medicines having sweet taste.
The above regimen helps softening of placenta, pelvis, waist, sides of chest and back of pregnant woman, the vÈta is allevaited, urine and stool become normal, come out with ease, the skin and nails attain softness, strength and good complexion increases. Following thus, a lady gives birth to a desired son with excellence health without any problem in proper time.
|Types of Health|